Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Soundtrack to My Family

Today, I REALLY missed my family. More than I usually do. Not sure why, I think it is just because I am so dang close to being back with them. I guess also because this is the longest I've been without seeing any of them. I've had Holly here every semester up until now and Kyle was here last semester. When I'm in Florida, I'm close enough to drive home or hop on a plane for an hour and a half. But here, well, here I'm far away and I can't do anything about it but call on the phone every once in a while when I'm not busy with school. So, today, I came up with a small solution to my problem. It is a playlist on my iPod called Family :). I would now like to share with you these songs and why they made the cut.

1. Dreams by Van Halen- Two words: Power Rangers.

2. Prologue to Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone by John Williams- My family and I (Holly excluded) are the most Harry Potter obsessed people I know. We went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter the second day it was open to celebrate my mom's birthday. We are diehard Potter fans for life. Also, this is what plays when my mom calls me :)

3. Through the Fire and the Flames by Dragonforce- Back in the good old days, Holly, Kyle, and I would play Guitar Hero ALL NIGHT LONG. This was a favorite.

4. Theme from Jurassic Park by John Williams- Many Friday nights in my youth were "Jurassic Park in the Dark" nights. My family absolutely loves this movie. We can pretty much quote the whole movie. "You will remember to wash your hand before you eat anything!!"

5. Jai Ho  by A. R. Rahman- When we were on a cruise last summer, there was a Bollywood themed show. It featured this song and so after the show, we would play this song when we were getting ready in our cabin.

6. Good Vibrations by the cast of Glee (originally Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch)- While I was at Disney one summer Holly and Kyle created a hilarious video to this song. Also, Holly really likes to rap Finn's part.

Now they start getting a little more individualized

7. End Credits from E.T. by John Williams: This December right after we got back from school, my family went down to Orlando to go back to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter on vacation (see what I mean about the obsession??). When we were at Universal, my dad and I rode E.T. Adventure together while everyone else went to see a show at Islands of Adventure. It was really fun to be able to do something just the two of us.

8. February Song by Josh Groban: This summer, I really wanted to go see Josh Groban in my hometown, but I didn't know who I could get to go with me. My dad agreed to go, even though he didn't know anything about Josh Groban. So, I gave him all of his albums and now he loves Josh, too. Too bad he got food poisoning and cancelled the concert.

9. Take a Bow by Rihanna: This one is mostly because my dad LOVES this song. It is so funny when he sings it and dances to it. PLEASE!

10. I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night by Kiss: This one is for my mom. When Kyle first got Guitar Hero, she wanted to play this song over, and over, and over. I got sick of it then, but now I have this great memory.

11. Reunion of Friends by John Williams: This is Kyle's favorite theme in all of the Harry Potter movie music. We played the Lego Harry Potter video game together this summer, so this song brings back some great memories as well.

and finally...

12. Hollyann by Boston: Wonder if you could possibly figure out why I would listen to this one! This is the song my sister Holly Ann was named after. After talking to her on the phone today I think I listened to this song 5 times on repeat.


Obviously music is a big part of my family's life, which is why this comforts me when I miss them. So, now all I have to do is grab my iPod when I miss them and I'll be reminded of all of the fun we are going to have in 31 days when I get home!


Love,

A Nostalgic Southern Girl in the Land of Potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment