Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Big Three...things that happened to me this week

I can't sleep, so I figured I'd give you the low down on the AMAZING things that have happened to me this week!

First off, starting in August, I'll officially be a Jackrabbit! I'm pleased to announce that I'll be student teaching at Mesa High School, in Mesa, AZ this fall! It was my number one choice, so I'm really glad they picked me. I've been looking online at the stuff there is to do in Mesa and it looks so awesome! They have museums and an aquarium (I love me some fish), but most importantly, temperatures above 20 for the ENTIRE fall, which makes me as happy as a kid on Christmas, or me on Christmas, really.

This looks a little Hunger Games-esque, right? You go Mesa High, may the odds be ever in your favor.

Secondly, earlier in the semester, I lost a library book. I know what you are all thinking, "tsk, tsk, and you call yourself an English Education major." I was disappointed with myself, I couldn't believe I lost it. To top it all off, of the plethora of books I could have lost, it was one I didn't even remotely want to actually read. It was for a class. I scoured my apartment looking for this (insert expletive here) book and couldn't find it anywhere. So, I sucked it up and braved the judgement of the people at the circulation desk at the David O. McKay library and other students that would no doubt criticize me quietly to themselves or their significant other, about how irresponsible I was for losing a library book. I paid the $25 and took the walk of shame back to my apartment, feeling so dejected. OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a little here, but I only do it to explain how deeply upset I was about losing this book. 

Fast forward to Thursday morning. After class, I arrived at home to continue the purging of all of my worldly possessions as I prepare to depart from Rexburg, in T-minus 7 days, but who's really counting? Under my bed I have a giant plastic tub of boots. Before you scoff and think to yourself, what a girl, think about where I live and the disgusting brown, but should be white, substance that covers the ground here 99% of the months I'm in school. Now you understand the need for my "box 'o boots," which, by the way, I cannot wait to be rid of. As I was sifting through these boots, I spotted a purple laminated book. My heart leaped a little bit. That, is NOT an exaggeration. I immediately called the library and asked if I would be able to return the book and possibly get a refund. Low and behold, this girl is $19 richer. Hot dang.

Lastly, and to me this is the best of the three, so I hope people didn't stop reading halfway through my melodramatic library book mishap. On Tuesday, I got a call from the nice people in the Disney College Program office. And I really mean that without even a hint of sarcasm, they are really nice, but that's not the point. The woman told me that before I arrived next month (cough, cough 24 days), she needed to talk to me about the role they want to put me in to make sure I was "receptive" to it because it is so different from any other attraction.

Now, if you know me at all, you know that I'd be happy cleaning up vomit as long as I was doing it at Disney World, believe me, I've done it before and I'd do it again. In fact I got a Guest Service Fanatic card once and under the reason for the award, my manager wrote, "Keeping your smile while cleaning up vomit." But I digress. The point is the place makes me incredibly happy, and it didn't matter what she said, I was receptive. Little did I know, what she said was going to make my day. 

Since, I've got you all hanging on the edge of you seats... I'll continue to explain our conversation. The woman told me that only 2 roles where college program participants are informed of their placement before arriving, mine and one other attraction (which she did not divulge). Over the phone, she explained to me that the responsibility sets and skills needed to work in this specific location were more challenging, and that's why they had to call and ask if I am Ok with it. This attraction has the highest amount of spieling, even more than Safari, or Jungle Cruise, or Great Movie Ride, which I didn't think was even possible. Additionally, I'll be using a lot of skills that I've learned in my education class, which is why I'm extra pumped.

Ok, ok, I've kept you all guessing long enough. Drum roll, please? This summer, I'll be working at Innoventions in EPCOT! I don't know why I didn't put the pieces together before that this would be the most choice place for me to work. For those non-Disney folks out there, Innoventions is a series of educational, interactive, hands-on activities geared towards families with kids ages 10-14. Some of the activities include "Where's the Fire?" an interactive activity informing guests how to prevent house fires. Another one is a technology that puts you into a video game! This place is basically off the chain. I'm so honored to have been chosen to work there. 

Other things that make me excited about this role:

- The hours are AWESOME. Innoventions opens in the morning with the rest of the park, but always closes at 7:00 PM. Everyday. No exceptions. Not even EMH. 

- It is totally and completely indoors, even the greeter position is indoors. That means in the middle of the summer when it is over 100 degrees outside and 98% humidity, this girl is gonna be cool in her regulation, free from contrasting colors, logos and designs, smooth and polishable black athletic shoes. Can you hear the Hallelujah chorus? I can.

- Finally, and again, this is the best one, I still get to be in the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. I love EPCOT. It really became a home to me last summer. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved working at Animal Kingdom, and it still has a very special place in my heart, but EPCOT is different. There is something about that place that makes me happier when I'm there. I listen to the music from EPCOT and whatever the problems of the day are, they just go away. If a place can have that kind of effect on a person, that is where they belong. I belong in EPCOT, it's where I fit :)

On to the countdowns...

5 days til my parents get here
6 days til graduation
8 days til I'm home
17 days til I bawl my eyes out at Les Miserables with Kathy and Memaw
22 days til I drive to Florida to hang out with Brooke
24 days til I check in for my CP
and roughly 125 days until I student teach

My life is so exciting right now and I can't wait to see what else is in store for my future!!

Love,
A Southern Girl About to Graduate From a Pretty Rad School in the Land of Potatoes

2 comments:

  1. So fun! I'm so excited for you (and maybe PJ and I can come visit you in warm Arizona when fall comes around...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! That would be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete