Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Latest Excitement in My Life

This week has brought some pretty exciting things into my life! I'm definitely going to keep busy this semester, of that I'm certain. So, here's what's going on!

First, I turned in my Fast Grad application today, which is a huge weight off of my shoulders. I've been needing to do it for a while, but I think I've been subconsciously scared to turn it in because that means I'm only 3 semesters away from being done with college. I'm excited but at the same time I'm scared out of my mind because then I have to be a responsible adult and get a real job in the real world. I'm also a little bit sad about staying here for the spring semester. I mean I want to stay, don't get me wrong, but I'll miss my brother's high school graduation being here, which is a big bummer. I know he'll understand because I really, and I mean REALLY need to finish school, but it's still lame that I won't be able to be there :( But, now that I've turned it in, it's up to the advising/registrar's office to decide whether I'm able to stay. The education advising office said I should be fine and to look for an email within the next few weeks.

Secondly, I'm serving as the BYU-I Theater Council President this semester! This is a great opportunity for me to gain experience so that if I'm eventually the faculty advisor of a theatre or drama club, I'll actually know what I'm doing. So far, I don't have any other officers, which is a little bit stressful and worries me, but I'm sure once we get everything up and running again for the semester all will be well.

Thirdly, I found out what exactly I'll be teaching at the middle school for my education class this semester. I'll be in a four person teaching team, my partner and I will begin each class period and then the other partnership will finish up and close the lesson. We'll be teaching Health every Thursday for the rest of the semester and next week we will be doing introductions and teaching about drugs. I'm the leader in my partnership this week, so, I'll see what it's like to make up a plan for the class period and then assign tasks to the other people in my group. I am really looking forward to this experience, I feel like it will really teach me how to be a teacher. Today, I got to go observe the class I'll be teaching and it looks like a really fun bunch of kids.

Lastly, we had our first Disney College Program Campus Rep meeting today. I have to say, it's not quite what I expected. Some of the cast members that have been reps before seem to have a very negative outlook on recruiting, which makes me really upset. I want to do all I can to get the word out about the program because I had so much fun while doing mine. There is some animosity for the Program at the University because of things that have happened in the past, but I hope that we can just deal with the fact that not everyone on campus is going to support us and do the best with what we have to work with. We don't have any support from the Internship office, which is going to be really tough, but I feel like if we work hard and keep a good attitude about everything that we can do a good job and meet all of the goals that the company sets for us. I'm really happy that I've been given this opportunity and I'm looking forward to getting to know my fellow reps better. I've been thinking a lot lately about trying for an Education Professional Internship at the Walt Disney World Resort, but we'll just have to see where life takes me and what opportunities present themselves in the future. I'd love to work for the company as a career possibly facilitating Traditions, DAKlimation, or Discovery Day classes. I think that would be such an amazing way to make a living and such a fun job that I'd love to go to everyday!

So, overall, I'm really excited about everything going on in my life right now. I'll be keeping busy, but that will be good. I feel like I do better when I have lots going on because I actually have to make a schedule of my day. I never wanna go back to last winter where I had too much to do and was so busy that I barely had time to sleep, but I'm comfortably busy, which is perfect for me!

Love,
A Comfortably Busy Southern Girl in the Land of Potatoes

2 comments:

  1. Neat! We're pretty good guinea pigs for theatre and Disney stuff so feel free to send info our way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will do so great as Theatre Council Prez!

    I have a friend who was a campus rep for like 2 years, and he went on to get the exact internship you mentioned and now works full-time for Disney! You would do so well there. =)

    ReplyDelete